Speaker….Paul Mortfield Topic…40 years of astrophotography Paul Mortfield is an astronomer and computer scientist who has returned to Canada after nearly 20 years in California. While there, he was involved in creating innovative education and public outreach activities with Stanford University’s Solar Observatories Group, and their involvement in NASA’s SOHO Solar spacecraft. He continues collaborations with NASA scientists on a variety of projects and is a member of NASA’s Education Products Review team. Paul is chair of the Solar Division of the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO), a group that has been responsible for computing the American Relative … Continue reading
Clear Sky Clock
- Crescent Moon with Aldebaran May 4, 2015The post Crescent Moon with Aldebaran appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Moon preprocessed (left) and postprocessed (right) May 4, 2015The post Moon preprocessed (left) and postprocessed (right) appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Crescent Moon with Aldebaran May 4, 2015
- Book Review: The Seventh Landing — Going Back to the Moon, This Time to Stay May 4, 2015Can you remember back to your first love? The one that left you in tears, wondering what ever caused such a disaster. Well, that feeling might come back to you if you read Michael Carroll’s “The Seventh Landing.” For you see, this book anticipates the imminent Constellation program of 2009 that was going to return […]Mark Mortimer
- Buster the Dummy Strapped in for Mile High SpaceX Dragon Flight Test May 2, 2015SpaceX and NASA are just days away from a crucial test of a crew capsule escape system that will save astronauts lives in the unlikely event of a launch failure with the Falcon 9 rocket. Buster the Dummy is already strapped into his seat aboard the SpaceX Crew Dragon test vehicle for what is called […]Ken Kremer
- Weekly Space Hangout – May 1, 2015: Prof. Coel Hellier, WASP & SuperWASP May 1, 2015Host: Fraser Cain (@fcain) Special Guest: Prof. Coel Hellier, Professor of Astrophysics at Keele University, UK, to talk about WASP & SuperWASP. Guests: Morgan Rehnberg (cosmicchatter.org / @MorganRehnberg ) Alessondra Springmann (@sondy) (...)Read the rest of Weekly Space Hangout – May 1, 2015: Prof. Coel Hellier, WASP & SuperWASP (440 words) © Fraser for Universe […]Fraser Cain
- Carnival of Space #403 May 1, 2015This week’s Carnival of Space is hosted by Zain Husain at the Brownspaceman.com blog. Click here to read Carnival of Space #403. (...)Read the rest of Carnival of Space #403 (91 words) © susie for Universe Today, 2015. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: Carnival of Space Feed enhanced by Better Feed from […]Susie Murph
- Watch an Enormous “Plasma Snake” Erupt from the Sun April 30, 2015Over the course of April 28–29 a gigantic filament, briefly suspended above the surface* of the Sun, broke off and created an enormous snakelike eruption of plasma that extended millions of miles out into space. The event was both powerful and beautiful, another demonstration of the incredible energy and activity of our home star…and it […]Jason Major
- Book Review: The Seventh Landing — Going Back to the Moon, This Time to Stay May 4, 2015