To all club members and the general public,
We are hoping you can attend the first meeting of the 2018/2019 season, tonight, Thursday, Sept. 6, 8:00 – 9:30 PM.
Traditionally, the inaugural meeting is when members make “show and tell” presentations. This Sept. we are fortunate to have two short but intriguing presentations.
1. Gordon Haist will use a short slide show to tell you about his time at Starfest 2018, this past August. Starfest is one of the most notable star parties in North America and Gordon will enlighten us about the events that occur at SF and he will encourage you to attend Starfest 2019.
2. Ross Leonard-McCaffery has offered to bring in some of his astronomy and science specific models to show the group, and talk about some of the benefits of Lego building for all ages. He has built a couple observatories, a sun-earth-moon orrery, and some other science-based items.
I hope you will join the club in welcoming these 2 volunteers who have graciously offered to share these topics with us.
And we always welcome last minute presenters, so if you have something to share, please come with that knowledge and present it tomorrow night.
The categories include:
1. Images, (including drawings) with the stories and details behind them
2. Equipment (new and old) and how it has helped you enjoy this hobby (binoculars, telescopes, accessories, books, websites, etc.)
3. Outreach stories from the past year (club outreach and/or personal outreach, including family events)
4. Other (surprise us)
You have the floor for up to 15 minutes. There will be a laptop and screen available, but feel free to bring your own computer, although you do not need to have slides as part of your presentation.
Meetings occur at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 551, 79 Hamilton Street North, Waterdown, L0R 2H0