Westfield and the Hamilton Centre are going to have another event on the evening of Friday April 24. We would like everyone with a telescope or binoculars to come out to Westfield to join in the fun. Many people have never looked through a telescope at all, and many others have limited experience of the beauty of the night sky. We would encourage everyone to take some optical equipment because it’s going to be fun, and other people will feed off you and your enthusiasm. The Hamilton Centre is also going to use the 131-year old Bell telescope and the … Continue reading
Clear Sky Clock
- Amateurs Given David Dunlap Observatory April 17, 2015After serving as caretakers of Canada's largest telescope for years, volunteers from the RASC's Toronto club have been given the historic facility outright. The post Amateurs Given David Dunlap Observatory appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- This Week’s Sky at a Glance, April 17 – 25 April 17, 2015Daily sky events among the ever-changing Moon, planets and stars, from Sky & Telescope magazine. The post This Week’s Sky at a Glance, April 17 – 25 appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Amateurs Given David Dunlap Observatory April 17, 2015
- Dragon Snared by Stations ‘Star Trek’ Crewmate, Delivers Science for 1 Year Mission April 18, 2015Following the flawless blastoff of the SpaceX Falcon 9 booster and Dragon cargo ship on Tuesday, April 14, the resupply vessel arrived at the International Space Station today, April 17, and was successful snared by the outposts resident ‘Star Trek’ crewmate, Expedition 43 Flight Engineer Samantha Cristoforetti of the European Space Agency, donning her futuristic […]Ken Kremer
- Weekly Space Hangout – April 17, 2015: Amy Shira Teitel and “Breaking the Chains of Gravity” April 17, 2015Host: Fraser Cain (@fcain) Special Guest: Amy Shira Teitel (@astVintageSpace) discussing space history and her new book Breaking the Chains of Gravity Guests: Morgan Rehnberg (cosmicchatter.org / @MorganRehnberg ) (...)Read the rest of Weekly Space Hangout – April 17, 2015: Amy Shira Teitel and “Breaking the Chains of Gravity” (454 words) © Fraser for Universe […]Fraser Cain
- Lunar ‘Fountain of Youth’ Challenge / Mercury Returns with Gusto April 17, 201516th century Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León looked and looked but never did find the Fountain of Youth, a spring rumored to restore one’s youth if you bathed or drank from its waters. If he had, I might have interviewed him for this story. Sunday night, another symbol of youth beckons skywatchers the world over. […]Bob King
- Scientists Map the Dark Matter Around Millions of Galaxies April 17, 2015This week, scientists with the Dark Energy Survey (DES) collaboration released the first in a series of detailed maps charting the distribution of dark matter inferred from its gravitational effects. The new maps confirm current theories that suggest galaxies will form where large concentrations of dark matter exist. The new data show large filaments of […]Ramin Skibba
- High Resolution Video Reveals Dramatic SpaceX Falcon Rocket Barge Landing and Launch April 17, 2015Video caption: High resolution and color corrected SpaceX Falcon 9 first stage landing video of CRS-6 first stage landing following launch on April 14, 2015. Credit: SpaceX KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FL – A new high resolution video from SpaceX shows just how close the landing attempt of their Falcon 9 first stage on an ocean […]Ken Kremer
- Dragon Snared by Stations ‘Star Trek’ Crewmate, Delivers Science for 1 Year Mission April 18, 2015