Title: Chandrasekhar’s Limit Speaker: Keith Jarvie, Ph.D. Keith’s talk examines (at the level of an amateur enthusiast with minimal math skills) the interplay between the birth of quantum mechanics, and its application to understanding the life cycles of the stars’. The historical record is traced through the lives of the scientists who contributed to the field, each of whom provides clear evidence of their genius, and in numerous instances, their eccentricities. Central to the narrative are the points of collision between Dr. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, and Sir Arthur Eddington, a ‘founding father’ and dominant force in early cosmology. The passage of … Continue reading
Clear Sky Clock
- Venus and Jupiter are FarOn June 30 Venus and Jupiter were actually far apart, but both
- Venus and Jupiter are CloseOn June 30, Venus and Jupiter were close in western skies at dusk.
- Venus, Jupiter, and Noctilucent CloudsHave you seen the passing planets yet?
- An Unusual Mountain on Asteroid CeresWhat created this large mountain on asteroid Ceres?
- Venus and Jupiter are Far
- Cresent Moon, Venus and Jupiter over the Morros July 2, 2015The post Cresent Moon, Venus and Jupiter over the Morros appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Venus Jupiter conjunction in Estonian twilight July 2, 2015The post Venus Jupiter conjunction in Estonian twilight appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Cresent Moon, Venus and Jupiter over the Morros July 2, 2015
- Rosetta’s Comet Sparkles with Ice, Blows Dust From Sinkholes July 2, 2015Comet 67P/C-G may be tiny at just 2.5 miles (4 km) across, but its diverse landscapes and the processes that shape them astound. To say nature packs a lot into small packages is an understatement. In newly-released images taken by Rosetta’s high-resolution OSIRIS science camera, the comet almost seems alive. Sunlight glints off icy boulders and pancaking sinkholes […]Bob King
- Falcon 9 Failure Investigation Focuses on Data not Debris as SpaceX Seeks Root Cause July 2, 2015KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FL – SpaceX and NASA are diligently working to “identify the root cause” of the June 28 in flight failure of the firms Falcon 9 rocket, as the accident investigation team focuses on “flight data” rather than recovered debris as the best avenue for determining exactly what went wrong, a SpaceX spokesperson […]Ken Kremer
- Dragon Dazzles at Liftoff’s Dawn on Doomed SpaceX Launch to ISS with Crew Docking Adapter July 1, 2015KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FL – In the span of mere moments, euphoria at the dawn of a dazzling Dragon liftoff atop a commercial SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket carrying critical science, supplies and docking components for NASA’s upcoming crewed spaceships to the International Space Station (ISS), turned to doom and gloom as the Dragon cargo ship […]Ken Kremer
- Astronomy Cast Ep. 383: Approaches to Absolute Zero June 30, 2015The coldest possible theoretical temperature is Absolute Zero, this is the point at which no further energy can be extracted from a system. How are physicists working to get as close as possible to this extreme cold? (...)Read the rest of Astronomy Cast Ep. 383: Approaches to Absolute Zero (46 words) © Fraser for Universe […]Fraser Cain
- Carnival of Space #412 June 30, 2015This week’s Carnival of Space is hosted by Zain Husain at the Brownspaceman.com blog. Click here to read Carnival of Space #412. (...)Read the rest of Carnival of Space #412 (91 words) © susie for Universe Today, 2015. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: Carnival of Space Feed enhanced by Better Feed from […]Susie Murph
- Rosetta’s Comet Sparkles with Ice, Blows Dust From Sinkholes July 2, 2015