RASC Hamilton is holding its annual general meeting and election of the new board this Thursday at the Waterdown Royal Canadian Legion Hall. Please come out and support your club! There will also be a discussion with the membership on what type of activities they would like to see as well as future direction for the club. See you there!!
Clear Sky Clock
- Kavli Foundation Q&A: Searching for Alien Life with a “Super-Hubble” Space Telescope October 9, 2015Watch a Q&A with two astronomers on the promise of Hubble's successor telescope, courtesy of The Kavli Foundation. Scientists have unveiled a bold proposal for a giant new space-based telescope that would be far more powerful than today's observatories. Called the High Definition Space Telescope (HDST), the instrument is essentially a supersized Hubble Space Telescope, […]
- This Week’s Sky at a Glance, October 9 – 17 October 9, 2015Daily sky events among the ever-changing Moon, planets, stars and constellations, from Sky & Telescope magazine, the essential guide to astronomy. The post This Week’s Sky at a Glance, October 9 – 17 appeared first on Sky & Telescope.
- Kavli Foundation Q&A: Searching for Alien Life with a “Super-Hubble” Space Telescope October 9, 2015
- NASA Webb Telescope Construction Leaps Forward with Delivery of Mirror Holding Backbone Flight Structure October 8, 2015NASA GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CENTER, MD – The construction pace for NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) took a major leap forward with delivery of the actual flight structure that serves as the observatory’s critical mirror holding backbone – to NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland and observed by Universe Today. “We are […]Ken Kremer
- A Mission to a Metal World: The Psyche Mission October 8, 2015In their drive to set exploration goals for the future, NASA’s Discovery Program put out the call for proposals for their thirteenth Discovery mission in February 2014. After reviewing the 27 initial proposals, a panel of NASA and other scientists and engineers recently selected five semifinalists for additional research and development, one or two of which […]Matt Williams
- The Next Generation of Exploration: Back to Venus with VERITAS October 7, 2015In February of 2014, NASA’s Discovery Program asked for proposals for the their 13th mission. Last week, five semifinalist were selected from the original 27 submissions for further investigation and refinement. Of the possible missions that could be going up, two involve sending a robotic spacecraft a planet that NASA has not been to in […]Matt Williams
- Watch Lenticular Clouds Form in the Moonlight October 7, 2015Clouds and moonlight are usually the bane of astronomers and astrophotographers. But on a recent evening at Mount Shasta in northern California, the two combined for a stunning look at usual cloud formations called lenticular clouds. Fortunately for us, photographer Brad Goldpaint from Goldpaint Photography was on hand to capture the event. His beautiful sunset […]Nancy Atkinson
- Guide to October’s Conjunction Mania, See Venus in Daylight October 7, 2015Tomorrow morning might be a good time to call for extra celestial traffic control. A slip of a crescent Moon will join a passel of planets in the dawn sky for the first of several exciting conjunctions over the next few days.(...)Read the rest of Guide to October’s Conjunction Mania, See Venus in Daylight (813 words) © […]Bob King
- NASA Webb Telescope Construction Leaps Forward with Delivery of Mirror Holding Backbone Flight Structure October 8, 2015